European Cyclists' Federation is looking for a Office Manager to join its team in Brussels
About the European Cyclists Federation (ECF)
We are the single European umbrella federation of member-based civil society organisations advocating and working for more and better cycling. We promote cycling as a sustainable and healthy means of transport and leisure. With nearly 70 member organisations from over 40 countries, we harness the power of European cycling movements as the only voice at the pan-European level. We are based in Brussels and our roots are in Europe, but the challenges we face are global, and we are ready to meet them as the worlds largest and best-known cyclists advocacy organisation.
ECF is looking for an experienced, motivated and friendly Office Manager who wants to be part of our mission to achieve more and better cycling for all.
The Office Manager plays a crucial role at the very heart of our organisation in Brussels, ensuring the smooth and efficient running of our operations, from general office management to human resources, finance and IT.
The Office Manager is supported by a Finance and Grants Officer as well as by external service providers for payroll, accounting and IT services. The role-holder works closely with, and reports to, the CEO and is an integral member of ECFs Management Group.
Given the nature of the duties and the organisational need for onsite presence on most days, this role is largely office-based at our location near Place Madou in Brussels, with flexibility to occasionally work from home.
- Overseeing general office operations
- Supporting the design and implementation of office and organisational policies, standards and procedures
- Managing office supplies and equipment and the office management budget
- Preparing internal and external meetings, including reserving meeting rooms and catering and greeting visitors
- Handling ingoing/outgoing mail and deliveries
- Preparing legal notices for the Moniteur Belge and various authorities
- Overseeing our relationships with external suppliers and service providers
- Managing IT support with the assistance of an external IT company
- Liaise with the building management to ensure employees health, safety and wellbeing, the adherence to sustainable practices, and to manage routine repairs and maintenance in the office
Human Resources (HR)
- Serving as first point of contact for staff on HR matters
- Preparing and managing employee and other HR files and contracts
- Managing the employee induction process
- Overseeing the staff time recording procedures, including ensuring compliance with internal policies and funders requirements as well as with all relevant labour laws
- Preparing payroll for processing by the external social secretariat
- Supporting timely and effective internal communications
- Coordinating training and development plans and activities
- Managing and supporting recruitment activities
- Overseeing the annual objectives-based appraisal process
- Supporting a healthy and happy working environment and culture for ECF staff and interns
Finance and Accounting
- Line-managing the Finance and Grants Officer
- Working with the Finance and Grants Officer, Projects team, external accountants and others, preparing regular and annual financial reports and analyses as required for the CEO, Board and budget holders
- Overseeing and ensuring compliance with agreed processes and procedures relating to invoicing, payments, reimbursement of expenses, etc.
- Overseeing the annual closing, auditing and financial reporting process for the association
- Overseeing the annual budgeting process and monitoring performance against budget
- High-level diary management for the CEO, to include arranging meetings and occasionally coordinating complex travel arrangement
Ideal candidate profile
Minimum of a Bachelors degree or equivalent experience in a relevant field such as accounting, administration, human resources or office management.
- At least 3-5 years of experience in office management or administration/operations
- Experience with accounting and controlling
- Experience with HR administration
- Experience of managing staff and/or interns
- Experience with creating and managing budgets
- Experience with/knowledge of recruitment practices
- Proficiency in Microsoft 365 Suite (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Teams)
- Proficiency with Zoom
- Knowledge of accounting software (Winbooks would be an advantage)
- Knowledge of basic IT infrastructure and timekeeping systems
Core competencies and qualities
- Positive, helpful, can-do attitude with good diplomacy skills
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- Reliable, trustworthy and discreet
- Good time-management skills
- Team player
- Critical, analytical and strategic thinker
- Detail oriented and good organisational skills
- Curious and a fast learner
- Good problem-solving skills
- Flexible and resilient
- Sense of ownership, responsibility and pride in your performance and its impact on the associations success
- As the working language of ECF is English, professional fluency in English is required
- Very good knowledge of French or Dutch
- Any other European language is an asset
What do we offer?
You will have a place in Europes and the worlds largest and best-known pro-cycling federation to promote cycling as the healthiest, most climate-friendly and efficient means of transport and leisure. You will work in an office located in the heart of Brussels full of friendly, passionate, multilingual colleagues from many parts of the world.
ECF offers an employment package in line with similar non-government organisations based in Brussels. Our package includes flexible working hours with a good life-work balance, 20 legal vacation and 10 extra-legal vacation days, cycling to work allowance and train allowance, lunch vouchers and an extra legal pension scheme.
How to apply
Please submit your CV and motivation letter in one pdf document no later than Friday, 6 January 2023 midnight CET. Earlier applications are very welcome and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Candidates should be available for the interview in the week of 09-13 January 2023, but if applicable, please indicate in your cover letter whether you would also be available for an (online) interview the week of 2 January. The successful candidate will ideally start in February 2023 or earlier.
The application must be exclusively submitted in an electronic format to the e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the subject line of your email please name the post you are applying for.
We would like to thank in advance all interested applicants. Due to an expected large number of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The ECF is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes the applications of all qualified candidates irrespective of their racial or ethnic origin, opinions or beliefs, gender, sexual orientation, health or disabilities. You need to have a legal right to work in Belgium in order to be considered for this position.
The ECF promotes an efficient use of resources in order to improve its effectiveness. Employees are requested to actively accom
European Cyclists Federation (ECF)Lilia Raicu
T. 02 329 03 81